Struggle of two lives converging....the life I had before October 19th and the one after October 19th

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Colic Daze (and nights)


Around 3 or 4 weeks your seemingly sweet baby angel becomes a demon sent by Satan to destroy your life and taunt you. It becomes painfully clear that your baby is only happy when you are miserable. In fact, this "sense" becomes so clear that the moment you begin to fall asleep after laying them down, they wake up. It is almost as if there is a string connected from your eyelids to theirs and when your lids go down, it pull theirs up.

I may propose a thesis on this "demon" theory. According to this official webpage, demons have a couple of characteristics:

1. Tufts of hair which grow out of their ears usually at a 30 degree angle.
(Upon close inspection of Abby's ears, I have noted a great deal of fuzz which outlines the rims. Her doctor has assured me that this will fall off eventually...)

2. Canine teeth.
(I propose that infants do not get their teeth until 6 months to ensure that their true demonistic states are not clear in the beginning...)

3. A minature of their original being on their head - worn like an accessory.
(Abby is a minature of what she will BECOME. This is a variant of the above characteristic again to hide her TRUE nature...)

This wonderful demonistic time is described by most doctors as "colic" though the new age phrase is a "hurting baby". (I think the more appropriate term would be "hurting parent") In Abigail, this is characterized by extreme gas and pressure in her little belly. Most often it doesn't flair up until the evening hours, when most humans are winding down and want to get some rest.

As I explained to Adam, lately my emotions make me feel guilty. I love Abigail more than you could imagine from the hours of 7 a.m. to around 7 p.m. The other 12 hours I curse my ovaries for working, my birth control for not working, and console myself with thoughts of January, when supposedly, her three month birthday will magically erase all these symptoms. In the meantime, I have everyone and their great aunt telling me to appreciate and cherish every moment because it goes by too fast. I do not, and will not pretend, that I appreciate ANY moment which involves a colicky Abby.

Ensure that you play with your 1-month old. If not, this could be detrimental to their development. Abby and I try to play but most generally we both get bored. I sing to her and she watches my mouth trying to determine what on earth I am saying and if it involves food. I dance with her and she stares at me with a blank stare wondering if it involves food. I hold dolls and toys in front of her and put her in a chair with a mobile above. She is mesmorized by all of these and, I think, wonders which of her new toys will feed her next. I just find that there is no playing with Abby. She is all about business...the business of food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home